Sunday, October 08, 2006

Childius Internus

Remember A-Levels at school? Not the study bits. The Career Service bits. Questionnaires, interviews advice, that sort of thing. Seems a long time ago now. As someone who has next to zero clue as to what to do after this all-expensive year out, sooner or later I will have to confront this biggie. So you can imagine the sense of assurance I got from the "Sales Pitch" lecture the Career Service guys give at the beginning of term. They went on and on about how they help you figure out what you want. And how most people don't know but figure it out. And how it was all OK etc. etc.

Being an optimistic sort of chap I always want to believe. So I did - until last week that is. That's when I had my first one to one career counselling session. Expectations were set high - here I am at the business school of the world, in a situation which fits the template quite well - surely the process would be designed with yours truly in mind.

It's rare for me to have moments of pause and reflection which end up with the realisation that 30 minutes of my life have passed away devoted to a waste of time of monumental proportions. Well, the interview was one of them. After rambling for 5 minutes about how I had no clue I sat back in my chair expecting order to arise from the chaos like a beutiful phoenix, and spread it's fire through the rest of my career. Well, alas, that did not happen. I had a rather convoluted response which I can honestly (and I do try very hard to be positive) was along the lines of "I dunno. You figure it out somehow, I guess". The two concrete take aways (I spent the last 5 minutes trying to think what they were) were that I should listen to my inner child more (his words, not mine) and that I should read "What colour is your parachute". I'll do the latter, but to be honest I'm not that hopeful.

On the plus side, with a bit of reflection, it's quite useful to have such a graphic realisation of the fact that it really is my own problem and than nobody is going to swoop on down from up high and breath clarity into the chaos. So it's time to roll up those sleeves and do some hard thinking.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home