Monday, April 16, 2007

The end of the tunnel

Continuing the theme of the sunsetting MBA, things have moved another step closer to their natural conclusion. People have started getting job offers. And some are even getting offers for things they genuinely want to do. Imagine that. Not being one of the chosen few to have drunk from the fountain of the desirable job offer, I can only pontificate that the sense of relief must be immense. My flatmates are certainly showing it. Now they can really concentrate on the things you want to do rather than the things you have to do. Only do the studying you want rather than some wanton chase for class credits. Oh the life. A lethal cocktail I should imagine, when mixed with 3 parts perfect summer weather.....

Meanwhile those of us who remain jobless as yet are continuing unabashed with the Career counselling. Today we covered themes. By starting off on a blue sky walk around the things I've done recently and have enjoyed the counsellor distilled some themes. For me these are revolving around impacting people's lives with technology, learning and entrepreneurial control. I've now got to come up with a spectrum which represents each of these themes to various degrees. You may think this is easy, but each spectrum must consist of at least 10 points. Which is where it becomes complex. Do you create more impact by starting a venture or by growing it? These are the sorts of questions which keep circling around my head.

Meanwhile my New Business Ventures group seems to be disintegrating into chaos. Having been abysmally disappointed by the selection of ventures on offer at the start of the class, I decided I might as well pick one which would be fun. So I went for the crazy lemonade option - at least we'll have fun making lemonade. Sadly that's all we seem to have done - there's no business plan in sight. So I've just pulled my group out of the pitching session - we were scheduled to present to some investors in a days time, and frankly with the amount of work we have done we would have been laughed off the campus.

CQW: Do you know who got Bain London?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home