Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A Melange

I keep meaning to try and have meaningful, well structured entries to this blog - most likely to satisfy one of the primary reasons I'm writing it - in order to learn how to write better.

But sometimes, I guess life doesn't come in useful bite size chunks that have a well structured beginning, middle and end. Sometimes the chunks are too small, and sometimes so vague you can't even be sure if they exist. So in order to meet the dear reader's insatiable appetite for content, they shall have to put up with a melange of an entry. This is where structure is abandoned for the sake of information.

The days are longer. You have no idea how much joy this brings to my life. I can now officially pull off a 12 hour day at school and still be home before dark. This allows me plenty of time to go for a walk and look at the ducks by the river - an important aspect to the sanity maintenance process necessary in P4.

I am writing my Rogerian report for Psychological issues in management. The process is mind numbingly difficult. I am supposed to describe the person I interviewed as they see themselves. So far so good. I am then supposed to describe them as I see them. I tried this and then I realised, the two are exactly the same. Which leads me to conclude that I've achieved absolutely nothing in terms of putting myself in their shoes - if I had I can't imagine there would be no difference between how I see them and how they really are. Oh well. Maybe listening skills is not my forte.

I went into an interview today. After 5 minutes, I said "Look, I'll be honest with you, and after the presentation I saw last night I feel there's very little chance I'm a good fit for you company's culture". The guy agreed and said I would most likely be bored there. So we parted in good company and spirits. When was the last time you were so honest?

I am invited back for 2nd round VC interview. Unfortunately they scheduled this right in the middle of the break. The dilemma of going to an interview for a position I really want, and having a holiday (I really, really need it) is a bit of a pain. I've asked to see if they can move the interview - a collective fingers crossed from the audience may not go amiss here.

Google is great, though my performance could have been better. Should know by Friday whether there is any progress there.

I have completed my Work and Life stars in my career counselling. My counsellor proudly informed me that I'm one of the lucky bunch who seem to have compatible demands from their Personal and Work lives. I inquired what happens to people who don't and she said "Well, they either are the sensible sort and sit down and decide which one is more important and focus on that, or if they're unlucky spend the rest of their life chasing an impossible balance". I gulped and thanked myself for having compatible desires.

CQW: What are you doing for the P4/P5 break?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home