Thursday, April 12, 2007

Overachievement

Sometimes you find something in life that really inspires you. And you feel like it would be a great thing to learn and you that you would really like to excel at it. Like for example, doing the Rogerian report for Psychological Issues in Management.

So far this has most likely been the highlight of the academic experience offered at INSEAD. The Rogerian report is basically practicing the Rogerian technique for listening. You pick an unsuspecting soul, foist a tape recorder on them and spend 45 minutes practicing active listening whilst they talk about something they have feelings about. So far so good.

But then you have to write a report about it all. Having gotten really enthused about the whole thing, clearly I want to do a good report. And so I start. And I realise it's blooming difficult. And after I don't know how many hours (at least 16) on the report, I think I have finally come to the realisation that success at writing reports on Rogerian interviews is not something which will adorn my tombstone once I depart this life.

I must admit I feel a slight sense of frustration at this realisation, but there we are. The report is done, and it is sadly disappointing. I wish I could improve it, but I just don't know how to. Certainly, I think I am far beyond the point where diminishing marginal utility of time spent kicks in.

I guess part of me also feels like I'm letting the professor down with this - he's the kind of granddad professor you want to impress with good grades. Or at least I do. And I know my report is a stinking pile of poo. Never mind. In business you learn to try hard, but once you realise a bird ain't flying to cut your losses and run. So there we are. The report submit button is pressed. Let's hope there's a surprise blog entry in the future on the grade I receive, but honestly, you're better off putting your money on a three legged horse.

1 Comments:

Blogger TheLondonD said...

Gosh....I am trying to finish my report now, and I feel exactly the same!!!
I think this is normal, and maybe we will be surprised by our grades after all :)

Monday, April 16, 2007 9:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home