Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Identity

A funny thing happened to me on the phone to the bank the other day. I got a mini identity crisis. Having left my home country at the tender age of 12 and lived in the UK practically ever since, it was the closest thing I had to home.

On Monday I rang up my bank in order to order a Switch card as I had lost mine. After being on hold for 40 minutes I was told that this was not possible - I suspect because my account has not had a salary going into it for the past 2 months. In the grand scheme of things this is by no means a big deal - it's just one of the little inconveniences that you just have to live with.

But it was at that point that it really struck me home - I felt like the country which had de facto become my home was turning its back on me. And all because of a silly Switch card. And then I felt a little homeless. I mean France is nice and all, but it's not really home - it's just somewhere I'm stopping by on my big life adventure. Oh how the quirky ways of the little things in life focus your mind on the bigger picture....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have money in the account? If so, tell the bank to give you the damn card right now, or they'll suddenly find the account /doesn't/ have any money in it anymore.
If you don't have any cash, not having a card is no loss ;)

Thursday, November 23, 2006 1:46:00 PM  
Blogger The Apprentice said...

In the world of banking nothing is ever so simple. all my savings accounts are linked to this account. And if I get rid of it, I need to get another one to link them to otherwise I can't move money anywhere. But I can't get another current account cause I'm now not in a position to produce utility bills......

Thursday, November 23, 2006 1:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surely you never were in a position to produce _utility_ bills ;)

btw how much would Singapore have cost?

...ooo and bon voyage!

ps if you're thinking about seeing bond...c'est bon....c'est tres bon ;) (apart from the vaguely dodgy script at times and the lack of plot credibility at others). The free running is incredible though, visually it's massive and Daniel Craig's, well what can i say??

Friday, November 24, 2006 10:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home