Saturday, November 11, 2006

Waterlillies

My new found wisdom for P2 is to get out of the MBA bubble as much as possible. This is in a bid to derive some external, non-MBA related, stimuli in a desperate attempt to gain some conversation material that doesn't involve the latest joke told in class.

So far I can declare this operation a reasonable success. Paris is remarkably easy to get to - especially given that I am 3 minutes walk away from the train station. And the number of museums this golden city has that I have not yet visited is vast. The train journey is really pretty and gives oneself an opportunity how amazingly lucky they are to live in the surroundings that they do.

Today it was the Orangerie's turn. For the unitiated it's practically a single exhibit museum - Monet's waterlillies. A series of Impressionist paintings done around the turn of the century, the waterlillies are stunningly beautiful. The Orangerie comprises of two rooms where 10 paintings are exhibited. Their size is breathtaking. And the explosion of color and emotion is amazing. I spent an hour staring at them and was left exhausted.

But enough about art - I think my art writing could be improved somewhat. Back to the MBA. There's another party tonight. And guess what! It's a fancy dress party! Really???? There hasn't been one of those for the past two hours! The INSEAD obsession with fancy dress is simply mind blowing. I think there may have been 2 parties since the start of September that have not been fancy dress (and they were both held in my house). I find this depressing on several grounds. Firstly and foremost I think it's a sad statement that people need to be dressed sillily to have a good time. Secondly, we live in a village with one fancy dress shop. So guess what happens when you e-mail 400 people telling them your theme? They go to the tabac? No. Try again. They actually end up in the fancy dress shop. Which by some amazing coincidence will have a box on the front desk with about 10 items to choose from which will match exactly the party of the week's theme. And then what? Well, you do the maths - 400 people, 10 items, 1 party, once a week, every week..... Am I boring for finding this depressing? Who knows. But I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home