Friday, March 09, 2007

Deer in headlights

Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines. It's time for P4. The period where all your job hunting dreams come true. Or not. As the case may be. But to be able to determine this, you must first start by getting some dreams.

Right now, there is a certain deer in headlights feeling to the whole period. As of next Monday, there will be about 3 company presentations on campus for the next month. They're all for milk round jobs. Which means that most of them are management consultancies, some are for banks, and there's one or two companies that actually produce real things thrown in for good measure.

Following my not very happy end to the last period (where I basically got totally stressed out I still had no clue as to what I wanted to do), I did some reflection over the holiday. I even went so far as to map my stress out. Anyways. One of the main things which hit me is that I'd fallen for the "the MBA provides you with a blank sheet of paper" story which is pushed by business schools prior to joining. Yes it's true - career changes are possible. But you better be damn sure what you want to do anew, because anything you apply for will have 20 people who have done it for the rest of their lives applying for it, and convincing people they should hire you rather than them is a tricky proposition.

So the "white sheet of paper" theory is out. What's in is make some of the remotely interesting options real (there's really not that many you can get to this stage) and then decide amongst them. So that's what I'm doing. I'll start with Google on Monday. Wish me luck.

Campus Question of the week (from how on CQW): How was Singapore?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home