Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Crap Listener

Remember that post about my Psychological Issues in Management report? Well, I got it marked yesterday. And oh my. What a read the professor's comments were.

Clearly, I knew I'd done a bad job. But you always hope, don't you.... That maybe, just maybe what you perceive as a whole load of rubbish listening is actually really good.

Well, never fear. I think the professor really went to town (and rightly so I should say). Comments to my responses, marked on the interview transcript went along the lines of:

What?
WHAT?????
What are you doing?
LISTEN!
What a silly question!
I hope she survived the interview…..

And to add make things really bad, just like a really good parent would by playing on your own guilt, he finished with his final comment - "It is dangerous to be a poor amateur psychologist. Sorry." What a guy!

So basically, I think I need to take listening off my list of skills. Pity really as I think it's quite important. His basic thesis is that I completely failed to listen to my client and instead I projected my own preconceptions on her. And I know he's right.

In other news, I'm down to the last 4 for the dream Venture Capital job. They have done a clever thing and have made me do a presentation on a company they are considering investing for the final round. The panel will include the CEO and who knows who else - though most likely the partner working on the investment. Which means that all my time has been spent in PowerPoint since last Thursday. I am bricking it to be honest - these people will know everything inside out and back inside again. Nearly there now though. Tomorrow's the big day.

CQW: Are you going on the graduation trip?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck, bucko!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, can you post the interview?

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 2:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home