Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Gut Feel

I could bore you with tedious details of how I spent the break. But I somehow feel that would betray the spirit of this blog (I stayed here for a bit and then I went to Barcelona). Instead, today I think I'll write about gut feel.

Specifically, seeing as it's the topic of the past six months, I'll write about gut feel and career moves. Or to really get into it, I'm going to write about that very special feeling when something feels so right it actually feels right as opposed to yourself convincing yourself it's really right because you think that's the right thing to do. I am sure I make myself clear as ever.

I'm a job hopper. 5 jobs in 6 years is a tough deal to sell (it can and has been done - trust me). But what's interesting is that every single time I've jumped job I've always had worries about the next step. For startups it was worries that they'd go bust (they did). For big companies it was worries that I would become a tiny cog in a great big machine (I was). For consulting it was worries that I never really knew exactly what they actually did day to day (I didn't). And so even though all the jumps made sense, the older I get the more I learn to listen to the little quiet voice at the back of my head that says "Yes, but!". That's probably the same little voice that was telling me that it was great that Google dinged me because of a whole bunch of reasons for which it would not have been right for me.

So imagine my surprise, when looking at the Venture Capital thing, I find that voice strangely absent. I spent the first half of the break relaxing. Or rather I relaxed while researching Venture Capital. Doing this off my own bat, it was almost like a hobby. An incredibly intoxicating and enriching one. There's so many things to research. Companies, people, track records, directions. Pages and pages of web to search.

And as you search you build a picture in your head. A picture of small VC funds comprised of oddball people fascinated by learning and keeping abreast of innovation. With an interest in money and business, but more focused on the buzz of making a technology happen than shouting to the world that their IRR has consistently exceeded 20% since the great depression. People that work with entrepreneurs day in and day out. People that can help with all aspects of running a small company. The more I read, the more I liked.

And the more I read, the more I noticed I didn't have that little voice in the back of my head that would always be there before the next career jump. I think I've found my vocation. Over emotional? Probably. But then, it's one thing finding it, another thing getting into it. So keep those fingers crossed. I'm down to the last 8 in one endeavour, and have another potential option that I need to start preparing for.

CQW: What did you do for the break?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home