Tuesday, January 09, 2007

School Bus

This is probably the most bizarre experience an MBA student has ever had, but today I came home on the school bus. And I don't mean the school bus of the Business School of the World! I mean a proper all singing all dancing French school bus full of 12 year olds. It appears that there's one of these a day from school going straight to my house, so on the rare occasions that my schedule permits it I can make use of this.

Quite an interesting thing school buses. I reckon you could tell a lot about a country from them. Back in my day, the noise level was somewhere between a jet taking off and a pneumatic drill. Members of the public unfortunate enough to stumble onto my school bus would with write to school with alarming regularity to report tales of fighting, swearing and smoking. The school would chastise the students with absolutely no effect.

When I got on the bus today it all went quiet (I was the only adult there). Then a kid politely moved his bag out of the way while another directed me to the newly created empty seat. The conversation level never got to anything higher than what is necessary for people to communicate. And I did not hear a swear word once (though admittedly I may not have recognised it). Not a hooded top insight. Not even people listening to music at a volume that will guarantee they will be deaf before they are 16. In fact, that's probably the most polite bunch of kids that I can ever remember. I was utterly amazed. I look forward to my next journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home